Draft Bourn Airfield Supplementary Planning Document - June 2019
Representation ID: 167733
Respondent: Crime Prevention Design Team Cambridgeshire
3: VISION AND OBJECTIVES
Sustainable housing and commercial development can be achieved to create safe and secure working, leisure and home environment. Developers should, at an early stage, seek advice from Cambridgeshire Police Designing out Crime Officers
This office supports the draft Bourn Airfield SPD and put forward the following comment for inclusion under Vision and Objectives:
Developers should ensure that crime prevention is considered as an integral part of the initial design of any development (both affordable, market and commercial properties) and not as an afterthought. Development should incorporate the principles of 'Secured by Design'. In particular they will need to demonstrate how their development proposal has addressed the following issues, in order to design out crime to avoid the creation of opportunities for crime:
* Natural Surveillance of public and semi-private spaces, in particular, entrances to a development, paths, play areas, open spaces and car parks.
* Defensible space and the clear definition, differentiation and robust separation of public, private and semi-private space, so that all the spaces are clearly defined and adequately protected in terms of their use and ownership.
* Consideration for some lighting, in particular shared parking courts and footpaths.
* Design and layout of pedestrian, cycle and vehicle routes into and within the site, including how these integrate and support community safety.
* Landscaping and planting, in particular, potential hiding places and dark or secluded areas should not be created.