Draft Bourn Airfield Supplementary Planning Document - June 2019
Representation ID: 168077
Respondent: Ben Strutt
2.4 ACCESS, MOVEMENT & CONNECTIVITY
- Explicitly ban public buses that are not providing timetabled services (i.e. ban off-duty transit, e.g. to and from the start of timetabled services) through Knapwell from depots on the A14, to Cambourne and Bourn Airfield due to increased, noise, vibration, pollution, 75 tonne weight restriction, and road which is unmaintained and of unsuitable width.
- More aggressive enforcement of contraventions of the 7.5 tonne weight limit by HGVs is carried out by law enforcement, Highways and VOSA agencies.
- Traffic travelling southbound from the proposed West exit onto Broadway has been explicitly identified as damaging to the rural and residential character of Bourn, and the Broadway Country Lane. The road north, including the village of Knapwell is equally vulnerable as Bourn, to all the negative externalities acknowledged by the need to protect Bourn and Bourn residents. Periodic recent closures of the A14 during construction work give worrying insight into the potential impacts of increased traffic on the safety of Knapwell residents.
I request equal priority and precedence is given to manage North bound traffic under a S106 requirement to:
- Minimise rat running through Knapwell; working with the community and Parish Officers, identifying measures at the St Neots Road Broadway interchange, and at respective A14 interchanges that lead to Knapwell, which will discourage rat-running south to Bourn Village.
- Monitor traffic impacts on an ongoing basis.
- Traffic calming and other measures to be implemented in surrounding villages [Knapwell]; monitoring strategy to reflect this need.
- If traffic is above modal flows, monitoring and fund as required for traffic calming. As a point of oversight and necessary correction, we ask that Knapwell High Street is added to the maps in the publication of a revised SPD, in particular the staggered junction which is currently the site of frequent serious accidents.
I request explicit direction to be made under an S106 mandate in the revision of the draft-SPD to mitigate and manage their concerns but proactively discouraging traffic to rat-run through Knapwell High Street from the Bourn Airfield Development.