Draft Over Village Design Guide SPD
Representation ID: 167900
Respondent: Cambridgeshire Constabulary
Secured by Design for all new housing and commercial development can be achieved to create a safe and secure environment. Developers should, at an early stage, seek advice from the Police Desiging Out Crime Offiers at Cambridgeshire Police Headquarters.
I would like these comments be made applicable to each of the Design Guides (Caldecote, Fulbourn, Gamlingay, Over, Papworth Everard, Sawston and Swavesey).
Developers should ensure that crime prevention is considered as an integral part of the initial design of any development and not as an afterthought. Development should incorporate the principles of 'Secured by Design'. In particular they will need to demonstrate how their development proposal has addressed the following issues, in order to design out crime to avoid the creation of opportunities for crime:
* Natural Surveillance of public and semi‐private spaces, in particular, entrances to a development, paths, play areas, open spaces and car parks.
* Defensible space and the clear definition, differentiation and robust separation of public, private and semiprivate space, so that all the spaces are clearly defined and adequately protected in terms of their use and ownership.
* Consideration for some lighting, in particular shared parking courts and footpaths.
* Design and layout of pedestrian, cycle and vehicle routes into and within the site, including how these integrate with existing patterns in the village.
* Landscaping and planting, in particular, potential hiding places and dark or secluded areas should not be created.